Club Secretary / Chief Executive
The Royal Southern Yacht Club
We have an exciting opportunity for a Club Secretary / Chief Executive with a hospitality-related background.
Internationally recognised as a world-leading yacht club, the Royal Southern is based on the waterfront in Hamble village, Hampshire. We have modern facilities capable of hosting formal dinners for up to 200 guests, restaurants and bars, as well as 12 luxury en-suite bedrooms. The Club owns the Prince Philip Yacht Haven providing berthing for 66 yachts and 20 RIBS.
The Club Secretary / Chief Executive, will be responsible for overseeing all key areas of the business, with particular focus on shore-side operations. He or she will be dedicated to delivering an exceptional and discerning service for our 1700 members.
This individual will maintain and further develop a high performing team of 40+ while ensuring process standardisation and improvement. The Club Secretary / Chief Executive will be responsible for the execution of the Club’s strategic initiatives and will play a critical role in the overall delivery of exemplary service. This individual will manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment as well as the Club’s P&L, reporting to the Chairman of the board of directors.
An attractive remuneration package including a performance-related bonus will be available for the right candidate.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Give priority to the achievement of high levels of member satisfaction by developing and continuously improving the services offered and ensuring appropriate metrics are in place to monitor member satisfaction
- To lead, develop and motivate our high calibre team of service-oriented employees to deliver a consistently high-quality service. Recommend and implement best practices across the team
- Ensure that the business is controlled effectively with appropriate planning, control and reporting procedures and ensure that targets are set, agreed and consistently met
- Foresee issues that could impact the club’s growth and profit, and articulate and develop solutions to present to the Executive Committee
- Ensure effective maintenance and security of all buildings and facilities, both on land and water
- Ensure that the appropriate insurances, licenses and other permissions are in place and regularly reviewed
- Ensure the Club’s statutory requirements and responsibilities in respect of Health, Safety & Hygiene are met, as well as all practices and policies are adhering to the HASAW Act 1990
- Drive the profitable growth of the business in support of the company strategy
- Champion the development and implementation of new policies and procedures
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings and act as the club secretary
- Degree level education with proven experience in customer service or hospitality
- Experience within a hotel or private members club is highly desirable
- A proven track record of managing a team
- In-depth knowledge of customer service principles and best practices
- Ability to work effectively within a matrix management structure, combining staff and members
- Proven analytical and operational management skills
- Ability to respond quickly to changing needs and adapt as necessary to meet new challenges
- Ability to resolve conflicts and members’ complaints
- Proven ability to attract, hire and retain high performing teams
- Driven, detail-oriented and calm under pressure
- Skilled, persuasive communicator
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends, particularly in the summer months.