Sailing and Haven
Upcoming Sailing Events
With the next lockdown announcement from Boris on 22nd February, and the plan to reopen schools in early March, we have taken the decision to postpone all planned events in February.
Further announcements will follow when we have more information from the Government, RYA and harbourmaster.
- Postponed: Optimist Winter Training #5
Jane has now been in touch directly with further information regarding alternative plans moving forward.
- Postponed: February Event Postponed
27 March & other dates TBC
It is now clear that February racing is unlikely, so the 2nd event has been postponed. If you would like to be added to the Academy racing Whatsapp group for direct updates, please contact Emily on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder about the Log/Blog Challenge Trophy
The Read Challenge Trophy is awarded annually to the best Log or Blog of an event or cruise undertaken by a member. There are no stipulations on the format of the Log/Blog. For example, the entry may take the form of an extract or copy of the actual yacht’s log/blog, pilotage notes, or be a magazine type article.
Please let Maggie Widdop (email@example.com) know if you are going to enter and she will arrange for the judges to look at your entry.
Entries must be submitted by the beginning of March 2021.
We will be present the Trophy when we are able, hopefully at the Fitting Out Supper in the Spring.
Sailing & Haven Updates
- 2021 Volunteers - We are still on the lookout for volunteers to get involved in the race management team at the club. This year we are running 37 racing events, and we can't do it without you! Find out more and sign up here.
- Sponsorship Opportunities - We are now in a position to look at sponsorship for the 2021 season, and have opportunities in sailing events, race equipment and our three J/70 sportsboats. If you would like to get involved and help where you can then please get in touch with Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sailing Events to Watch
- Vendée Globe
After 95 days at sea, we are now seeing the second half of the fleet coming back into port in Les Sables d'Olonne. Although Sam Davies, Initiatives - Coeur, had to retire from the race due to boat damage, both her and Miranda Merron, Campagne de France, are heading North away from the equator and towards home.
Completing a Vendée Globe is in incredible feat and, after all of our recent experience with isolation, I'm sure we can appreciate even more acutely just how difficult it must be on the body, boat and brain.
Keep up to date with their progress here - https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map
- The PRADA Cup
The Prada Cup Final starts this weekend, with Ben Ainslie's INEOS Team UK taking on Jimmy Spithill and Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team to fight it out for the title of PRADA Cup Winner. The team to come out on top wins the chance to challenge Emirates Team New Zealand for America's Cup. The format for the final is first to 7 wins match racing, so up to 13 races are scheduled to take place between 13th and 22nd February.
After turning around what started out as a fairly problematic campaign, let's hope INEOS can follow through on their spectacular round-robin performance. Best of luck to the whole team and we hope you will all be watching with us!
Watch live or catch up on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/americascup
- RYA eSailing Winter Club Championships - South Regional Final
Tune in to Virtual Regatta at 7:30 pm on Monday 15th February to watch Isabelle Waha, our club representative, compete in the sailing Winter Club Championships South Regional Final. The event will be streamed to the RYA South Regions Facebook page so you can cheer her on from home!
- RYA Dinghy Show 2021
This year's virtual RYA Dinghy Show will be hosted by Hannah Diamond and is taking place on 27th - 28th February. The show is free to attend and will include talks from Olympians, sessions and plenty of great exhibitors. Good luck to Hannah and we look forward to 'seeing' you all there!
Register and find out more by clicking here
Shoreside and House
Upcoming Shoreside Events
- Virtual Wednesday Lecture
Wednesday 17th February
This week we have a returning lecturer Christopher Legrand talking about 'The Treasures of Dorset'.
Click here for Zoom link
- Virtual Wednesday Lecture
Wednesday 24th February
This week we will be hearing from Club member Janey Devine, who will be given a lecture titled 'Impressions of the landscape'.
Click here for Zoom link
Please note that the zoom accounts come on earlier as there have been requests for time to chat and check everything works but the lectures will begin promptly at 7 P.M.
Treat your love and celebrate Valentine's with a luxury 3-course meal, professionally prepared for you to enjoy in the comfort of your own home by Pete and Mary. Leaving you to do the finishing touches with instructions included.
Delivered to your door, depending on location and availability, or collect from the Royal Southern.
Click here for further information and menu
Friday Night Take-Away
The Friday night take out will also be available on Friday 12th February, the menu will be;
Sticky Chicken with Vegetable Rice, Vegetable Spring Roll and Steamed Duck Bun
Next Friday, 19th February, the menu will be:
Homemade Steak, Mushroom and Guinness Pie with Cream Potatoes and Roast Root Vegetables
Book with Pete and Mary Fry
Via 07905262021 or email email@example.com
Payment details will be provided upon booking.
Vegetarians can also be catered. This meal does not contain shellfish
Car Parking 2021/22
The price for 2021 /2022 Car Parking Permit remains at:
Royal Southern Yacht Club Ties
The Royal Southern Yacht Club is proud to announce the return (by popular demand) of our 100% silk, crested, classic tie - designed in 1995.
This beautiful, all-over fluttering burgee, navy tie, has been created by our long-standing insignia supplier C.H Munday Limited (established since 1918) and restricted to the production of fifty.
If you would like to order one, to no doubt replace an existing Club tie, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by email only.
These will be restricted to Club Members only and charged to the Members Club account.
Due to current restrictions, these can only be posted out at an additional cost of £4.50-second class signed for.
The Royal Southern Yacht Club Face Covering
Members are able to purchase Silk face coverings which are now back in stock to be posted out £12.50 plus £3.50 postage and can be placed on your Club account.
Silk with a cotton lining, machine washable. They will crinkle after a wash. Please wash gently. One size available only. Email email@example.com to place an order.
- Boat Checks: We will carry out weekly checks of boats in the PPYH and mid-river moorings and additional checks as soon as feasible following a storm. If you have any specific concerns or would like us to check your boat if moored elsewhere in the river, please contact Brian in the Sailing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facility Access: The car park is still open for professional marine operators. Please be reminded that access to keys and the Bosuns office will not be possible. It will not be possible to accept any members' deliveries.
- Bathrooms Access The outside toilet in the rear courtyard will remain open. Housekeeping will be cleaning and sanitising the outside toilet.
- Staffing: Between 0900-1700 there will be a skeleton staff on duty. Night security will continue as normal 7 days a week.
- If you wish to contact a member of the team, please do so via emails only. Contact details can be found at the bottom of this newsletter.
- Bosuns, Launch & Crane Use: The Bosuns will be working on Sunday's with the launch service suspended until further notice and the crane, not in use.
Sailing Activity: Sailing activities will be reviewed on 15th February, all Sailing up to and including this date is either postponed or cancelled. Find more information in the Sailing section.
COVID-19 Information Links
Please find below links to further information and guidance on the new COVID regulations which came into place on 5th January 2021.
RYA: Coronavirus Information Hub
RYA Covid-19 FAQs valid in England from 5th January 2021
Hamble HM: River Hamble Harbour Authority Notice to River Users No 3 of 2021
GOV.UK: National Lockdown: Stay At Home Guidance