- Clubhouse: Our doors have once again been closed until further notice.
- Bosuns, Launch & Crane Use: The bosuns will be working significantly reduced hours, with the launch service suspended until further notice and the crane not in use.
- Boat Checks: We will carry out weekly checks of boats in the PPYH and mid-river moorings and additional checks as soon as feasible following a storm. If you have any specific concerns or would like us to check your boat if moored elsewhere in the river, please contact Brian in the Sailing Office on email@example.com.
- Facility Access: The car park is still open for professional marine operators, however, access to keys and the bosuns office will not be possible. Unfortunately, during this time it will not be possible to accept any members' deliveries. The outside toilet in the rear courtyard will remain open.
- Staffing: Between 0900-1700 there will be a skeleton staff on duty, this will be limited to around 2 staff members working on a rota system. Night security will continue as normal 7 days a week. Housekeeping will be keeping any office area used clean and sanitised as well as the outside toilet and performing regular maintenance checks on the showers and bedrooms. If you wish to contact a member of the team, please do so via emails only. Contact details can be found at the bottom of this newsletter.
- Sailing Activity: As the lockdown rules will not be reviewed until 15 February, we are unfortunately having to postpone the Optimist Winter Training on 16/17 January and 13/14 February, and cancel the Academy Frostbite event on 23 January. Find more information in the sailing section.
COVID-19 Information Links
Please find below links to further information and guidance on the new COVID regulations which came into place on 5th January 2021.
Sailing and Haven
eSailing Winter Club Championship Qualifier Series
7th, 14th, 21st & 28th January, 6 pm start
Thursday 7th January saw 14 sailors competing in the first of the Royal Southern eSailing Winter Series. Third place for the evening went to Isswizz, with Skippafire in 2nd and Woodwind 5 winning by 1 point. The racing was incredibly close with 5 different winners over the 6 races.
Click here to read the full Event 1 Report
Racing continues this Thursday with the same format and entries close at 1700 on the day, hope to see you there!
Upcoming (Real) Sailing Events
Due to the current lockdown, all events to 15 February have been postponed or cancelled.
Further events will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Sailing Committee considering government restrictions and RYA guidance, and any updates will be communicated to you in these Weekly Briefings.
Optimist Winter Training #4 & 5
Jane has now been in touch directly with further information regarding alternative plans moving forward.
JANUARY EVENT CANCELLED
Academy Frostbite Series 2021
20 February & 27 March
Although the January event will need to be cancelled, we hope to be able to run the February and March events.
Click here for entry details
Sailing & Haven Updates
- 2021 Volunteers - In order to deliver the 2021 racing programme to the best of our ability, we need you! You can do as much or as little as you like; just let us know what you are looking for, your skills and qualifications, and your availability through this form.
- Brexit Issues for Cruising Sailors Addressed in RATS Seminar - The Cruising Association has circulated their 5th December webinar on the above. Find out more and view the webinar here.
Shoreside and House
Virtual Wednesday Lecture
Wednesday 20th January
Club member Graham Rabbitts will be sharing his knowledge with a talk titled 'Cruising the Iroise'. The zoom links can be found here.
Wednesday 27th January
Returning lecturer, Rosemary Legrand will be sharing his knowledge with a talk titled 'New Zealand, South Island'. The zoom links can be found here.
Contact the Events Office:
Obituary of Simon Russell
Simon Russell, known by all as Fumesy, suddenly passed away on Tuesday 5th January.
He was known the world over in sailing, having raced in fleets such as the Etchells, Melges 24s, Ultra 30s, Mumm 30s, X One Designs, SB20s and many more with great success.
Simon worked in the marine industry for over 25 years, most recently as a Director of Sportsboat World, after eleven years as Corporate Sales Manager at Musto, where he focused on growing the team sales business. Before that, he spent ten years at Jack Holt Ltd as a Technical Sales Manager in the dinghy and keelboat hardware division.
He crewed for Stuart Childerley in the Etchells, winning the World Championship together with Nik Pearson in 2001 at Lymington and then defending the title with brother-in-law Roger Marino in 2002, racing on Auckland's Hauraki Gulf.
Stuart said, "Fumesy had time for everyone and always knew somebody who'd be able to help when needed. It was only when you got really close to him, the friendship he provided and the attention to detail in his sailing was immense. We saw his determination to succeed in the Etchells, the XODs and everything that he does, but we'd all be happy to spend time with him in the boat park, bimbling on the boat, being so thorough in our preparations on race days. He had all the ingredients and characteristics of a world-class sailor, which became evident in the final results, but most of all it was just fun doing things with Fumesy."
More recently Simon won the XOD Captains Cup at Cowes Week 2019 and enjoyed the 2020 SB20 Nationals at the Royal Southern in September. Simon has been working with the John Merricks Sailing Trust to organise an event at the Royal Southern for young sailors to win a place to race an SB20 at Cowes Week 2021.
Our condolences and best wishes to Mum Janette, daughters Marcia and Lucie, sister Amanda and all of Simon’s family and many friends.