Sailing & Haven
Upcoming Sailing Events
With the next lockdown announcement from Boris on 22nd February, and the plan to reopen schools in early March, we have taken the decision to postpone all planned events in February.
Further announcements will follow when we have more information from the Government, RYA and harbourmaster.
Academy Frostbite Series 2021 - February Event Postponed
27 March & other dates TBC
It is now clear that February racing is unlikely, so the 2nd event has been postponed. If you would like to be added to the Academy racing Whatsapp group for direct updates, please contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org
Optimist Winter Training #6
We are yet to ascertain whether this event will be able to go ahead, but Jane will be in touch with you directly regarding the final decision and outcome.
Reminder about the Log/Blog Challenge Trophy
The Read Challenge Trophy is awarded annually to the best Log or Blog of an event or cruise undertaken by a member. There are no stipulations on the format of the Log/Blog. For example, the entry may take the form of an extract or copy of the actual yacht’s log/blog, pilotage notes, or be a magazine type article.
Please let Maggie Widdop know if you are going to enter and she will arrange for the judges to look at your entry.
Entries must be submitted by the beginning of March 2021.
We will be presenting the Trophy when we are able, hopefully at the Fitting Out Supper in the Spring.
Sailing & Haven Updates
Dinghy Park Storage
Applications are now being accepted for the dinghy park and rack storage areas for the period 1st April 2021 – 31st March 2022. There are the following number of spaces available:
- Dinghy Park – 19
- Dinghy/Oppie Rack – 36
- Dinghy Upright Rack – 12
If there are more applications than we have spaces in a section, then we will hold a ballot accordingly. The date of any such ballot will be sent to all applicants as soon as possible after the closing date.
Please read the below T & Cs, and complete and submit the application form by 26th February 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact Brian at email@example.com
- 2021 Volunteers - We are still on the lookout for volunteers to get involved in the race management team at the club. This year we are running 37 racing events, and we can't do it without you! Find out more and sign up here.
- Sponsorship Opportunities - We are now in a position to look at sponsorship for the 2021 season, and have opportunities in sailing events, race equipment and our three J/70 sportsboats. If you would like to get involved and help where you can then please get in touch with Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sailing Events to Watch
Over 100 days of circumnavigating the planet later, we are delighted to see that Miranda Merron, Campagne de France, arrived safely back into port in Les Sables d'Olonn late last night. She is only the 9th women to ever finish the race and there is a great article about her journey here - https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en...
Although Sam Davies, Initiatives - Coeur, had to retire from the race due to boat damage, she is also still on her way home and we wish her luck. Keep up to date with her progress here - https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en...
The PRADA Cup
Following an unfortunate first couple of days of the PRADA Cup Final, Ben Ainslie's INEOS Team UK have some catching up to do after 4 races, and 4 wins to the Italians. Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli came out the blocks fighting, with barely a wobble and some extremely slick sailing. In contrast, Ineos seemed caught off guard and, with such closely matched boats, the difference has to be put down to a couple of avoidable boat handling errors.
The next round was scheduled for Wednesday 17th but has been postponed as Auckland enters a very rare (and hopefully short-lived) lockdown. Fingers crossed the unforeseen schedule change will shake things up a bit and give Ben and the team a chance to get back into their groove.
Watch live or catch up on Youtube -
RYA Dinghy Show 2021
This year's virtual RYA Dinghy Show will be hosted by Hannah Diamond and is taking place on 27th - 28th February. The show is free to attend and will include talks from Olympians, sessions and plenty of great exhibitors. Good luck to Hannah and we look forward to 'seeing' you all there!
Shoreside & House
Upcoming Shoreside Events
Virtual Wednesday Lectures
- Wed. 24th February - This week we will be hearing from Club member Janey Devine, who will be giving a lecture titled 'Impressions of the landscape'. Click here for zoom link
- Wed. 10th March - This week we will be hearing from Malcolm Thorpe, who will be giving a lecture titled 'Bembridge Harbour'. Click here for zoom link
Please note that the zoom accounts come on earlier as there have been requests for time to chat and check everything works but the lectures will begin promptly at 7 P.M.
Contact the Events Office:
Becky, Events Manager, and Zoe, Events Coordinator - email@example.com
Friday Night Take-Away
This Friday, 19th February, the menu will be:
Homemade Steak, Mushroom and Guinness Pie with Cream Potatoes and Roast Root Vegetables
Next Friday, 26th February, the menu will be:
Roast Salmon Supreme with Herb and Lemon Butter, Buttered Potatoes and a Medley of Vegetables
Chocolate Tart and Clotted Cream
Book with Pete and Mary Fry via 07905262021
Payment details will be provided upon booking.
Vegetarians can also be catered. This meal does not contain shellfish.
We would like to say a big thank you to all who joined us this Valentine's Weekend. It has been fantastic to receive all the kind words and positive feedback about our Valentine's offer as well as Friday's alternative options.
We look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks with a number of dishes to try.
Pete and Mary
Car Parking 2021/22
The price for 2021 /2022 Car Parking Permit remains at the below rates for the period 1st April 2021 to 31st March 2022 and not offered on a pro-rata basis.
If you would like to cease holding a permit whether Single or Double please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to continue with your current Car Parking arrangement, your Members account will be automatically charged on the 1st April 2021.
The Royal Southern Yacht Club Tie
The Royal Southern Yacht Club is proud to announce the return (by popular demand) of our 100% silk, crested, classic tie - designed in 1995. This beautiful, all-over fluttering burgee, navy tie, has been created by our long-standing insignia supplier C.H Munday Limited (established since 1918) and restricted to the production of fifty.
If you would like to order one, to no doubt replace an existing Club tie, please contact Reception by email only on email@example.com
These will be restricted to Club Members only and charged to the Members Club account. Due to current restrictions, these must be posted out at an additional cost of £4.50-second class signed for.
The Royal Southern Yacht Club Face Covering
Members are able to purchase Silk face coverings which are now back in stock to be posted out £12.50 plus £3.50 postage and can be placed on your Club account.
Silk with a cotton lining, machine washable. They will crinkle after a wash. Please wash gently. One size available only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order.
COVID-19 Reminders and Links
- Boat Checks: We will carry out weekly checks of boats in the PPYH and mid-river moorings and additional checks as soon as feasible following a storm. If you have any specific concerns or would like us to check your boat if moored elsewhere in the river, please contact Brian in the Sailing Office at email@example.com
- Facility Access: The car park is still open for professional marine operators. Please be reminded that access to keys and the Bosuns office will not be possible. It will not be possible to accept any members' deliveries.
- Bathrooms Access: The outside toilet in the rear courtyard will remain open. Housekeeping will be cleaning and sanitising the outside toilet.
- Staffing: Between 0900-1700 there will be a skeleton staff on duty. Night security will continue as normal 7 days a week.
- If you wish to contact a member of the team, please do so via emails only. Contact details can be found at the bottom of this newsletter.
- Bosuns, Launch & Crane Use: The Bosuns will be working on Sunday's with the launch service suspended until further notice and the crane is not in use
Please find below links to further information and guidance on the new COVID regulations which came into place on 5th January 2021.